1/20/2010

100-Word Challenge: Breakfast



This is my submission to Velvet Verbosity's 100-Word Challenge:  Breakfast.

Conversation Over the Toast



It was Gram’s 75th birthday, and to celebrate, I took her to breakfast. 

Buttering toast, her eyes focused backward into the past, she said, “You know that comedian Saul Morgan?  Kinda famous back in the 50s?”

“That beatnik guy who used to perform at the hungry i?” 

“Yeah, that guy. “

She paused.  Then, “I dated him.” 

“You didn’t!”

“Yeah… I did.”

After another, even longer pause, “I slept with him.”

You DIDN”T!!!” 

“Yeah… I did.”   

She smiled, her eyes shining. “He told me I was the only girl he’d ever dated who could make intelligent conversation over the toast.”


8 comments:

  1. I can hear this conversation and the shock in the narrator's voice. Too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo, that Gram is a saucy minx! An adorable one. What other secrets does she have, I wonder?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this yesterday and I guess I must have been having a senior moment because I didn't leave a comment!! And I should have. I find this piece to be utterly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. This is my favorite for the week! LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You enjoyed the photo of Mt. Rainier that accompanied my '100 words'... I posted some more photos along with it, just for you.

    Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Susan, what a "saucy minx"! Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this was so evocative!

    love it.

    ReplyDelete

Thoughts? I would love to hear from you.